Christ is Risen!
Welcome to your online worship for the Fifth Sunday of Easter, May 7, 2023.
We are having a busy weekend here at St. Mark’s. Saturday was our Quarter Auction Sale and today after services we are hosting a High Tea to celebrate the coronation of King Charles III. Our thanks goes out to all our volunteers who helped make those events possible and to all who supported these events with their presence!
Today’s Opening Sentence
“I am the way, the truth, and the life, says the Lord; no one comes to the Father, but by me.” – John 14.6
Today’s Reading – John 14:1-14
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.1
Your Online Message and Prayers
Click on the above image to view our online worship on YouTube.
Reflection questions for the week:
- John Gospel begins with an important explanation of time and place. John 1:1 reads “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” And Then John 1:14 reads, “And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory.” God works on a cosmic scale of time and space. When did you begin to become aware of your relationship with God?
- When we hear Jesus preparing them for his earthly departure, we have an advantage over his disciples, because we know how the story of Jesus life goes. Who in your life cared enough for you to try to prepare you for the trials and tribulations of life?
- Thomas and Philip both have heartfelt and honest questions for Jesus. Reflect on the times in your life when you had questions about where you were going in your life or when you wished for more proof that the goals for your life’s direction were the right ones to follow.
- In verse 12 Jesus says, “Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father.” Has your faith, your belief in the Good News, helped you to do more than you thought you could do in your life? Have you been part of a group task and felt that the group had accomplished more together, than you all could have ever done alone?
This week music is provided by Ryan Van Dijk, our Music Director, and the choir. Thank you to them all for their ministry of music!
A continued reminder that if you are at all uncomfortable being in-person for worship, or if you are not feeling well, please join us here online.
Thank you again for joining with your parish family in our online worship today.
Find out how you can support our ministry and good work in the community here.
God Bless you and have a blessed week. Be well!
The Rev’d Canon Rob Park
- Scripture quotation is from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.