In 1953, a small church was erected on the corner of Evelyn and Albert Streets in the north end of Brantford. Even though there was not yet a congregation, it was built as part of a plan for church expansion in the city. Following construction, the sparsely populated region was canvassed, and the people were informed that there was a new Anglican Church in the community.
The first services were held on Palm Sunday, March 29, 1953, and over the next twelve years, St. Mark’s Church grew and flourished. By the end of this time, it became apparent that the building had deteriorated and was in need of extensive repairs and that the congregation had grown in size from its original 29 families.