Primates World Relief Development Fund Pledges $50,000 to Cyclone Relief
PWRDF is responding to two ACT Alliance emergency appeals for Cyclone Idai relief with an initial pledge of $30,000 for Mozambique and $20,000 for Zimbabwe. Cyclone Idai has caused loss of life, destruction of property and displacement in the two countries as well as neighbouring Malawi.
More than 215 people have been killed by the storm according to official figures in the three countries. Still hundreds more are missing and more than 1.5 million people have been affected, according to the Red Cross and government officials. The president of Mozambique, Filipe Nyusi, fears the number of dead in Mozambique may be as high as 1,000 people. The storm hit the coastal city of Beira, Mozambique last week, then moved inland to Zimbabwe and Malawi. Beira is the fourth largest city in Mozambique and reports have estimated almost 90% of the city has been destroyed.
PWRDF is in contact with ACT Alliance and other partners in the region, such as EHALE in Mozambique (located in Nampula) and new partner TSURO in Zimbabwe (located in Chimanimani, which was in the path of storm). PWRDF continues to monitor the situation and will share further updates as they become available. Please pray for those who have been affected by the cyclone, and the rains and floods that has come with it. As we know, recovering from these events is a long-term process as families work to rebuild their communities and livelihoods. Please also pray for the agencies on the ground, including the PWRDF partner organizations.
How You Can Help
- PWRDF is responding to this emergency by supporting the relief and recovery efforts on the ground. You can give to this emergency response:
- On your cell phone – text ‘PWRDF’ to 45678
- Online – at pwrdf.org/give-today and choose emergency response
- Telephone – call toll-free at 1-866-308-7973
- Mail – please send a cheque marked Cyclone Relief to The Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, 80 Hayden Street, 3rd floor, Toronto, Ontario M4Y 3G2
Click here for more information.